The “go-for-the-jugular” Mitt Romney we all came to know as he annihilated his primary opponents just came back on stage.
And the man whose supporters refer to as one of the greatest orators the American Presidency has ever known was left fledgling without his teleprompter. But don’t take my word for it- let Bill Maher say it for me on Twitter:
i can’t believe i’m saying this, but Obama looks like he DOES need a teleprompter
In front of a wide-eyed moderator from PBS struggling to keep control, President Obama was positively, absolutely, unequivocally TROUNCED. And, as to be expected- the media and many on the left are blaming Lehrer for his “unfair” moderation of the debate. So shocking that the left would resort to claiming something was unfair. Clever.
I’m gonna go through this blow by blow- you be the judge.
- Romney looked Obama in the eye during every response. Obama stared at the moderator or his podium.
- Romney gave a concise, 5 point plan. Obama told people to visit his website.
- Romney highlighted his work with a state legislature that was over 80% Democrat. Obama told of how he’s worked with both sides. . .yet seems to forget how he’s refused to work with a Boehner led, GOP run House, and told Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev that he’d “have more flexibility” after the 2012 elections.
- Romney continued to talk specifics about his plan. Obama talked about how he needs four more years to implement a future plan. (I’m still at a loss as to what he’s been doing these past 4 years?)
- Romney highlighted school choice for parents. Obama brought up a stale promise from 2010 about hiring 100,000 new teachers. (News flash, Mr. President- we’re still sitting on one hot mess of an unemployment rate)
- Romney called the Obama tax plan the “economy tax.” Obama brought up class warfare, AGAIN.
- Romney reiterated his plan to cut taxes, not simply extend rates. Obama tried to claim fame for “cutting taxes” during his administration when in effect he only kept Bush tax cuts in place.
- Romney, well versed in the economy, talked facts and figures. Obama, the man who couldn’t recall the actual figure of the National Debt on David Letterman tried to talk to us about how it’s simply “math.”
- Romney said debt was a moral issue. Nary a peep was heard in direct response from the man who once called the Bush debt (6 trillion dollars ago) “unpatriotic.”
- Romney bashed Obamacare and the massive expense that it will be to the American people. Obama tried to blame Bush for “unfunded programs” and “unfunded wars” contributing to the national debt prior to his presidency.
- Romney detailed the exponential waste in the federal government. Obama feebly tried to take credit for supposedly cutting government programs.
- Obama bashed oil companies for getting 2.8 billion in breaks. Romney quickly pointed how green energy has received 90 billion in breaks under this presidency.
- Obama talked about fighting for Obamacare. Romney talked about how he should have been fighting for JOBS.
- Obama claimed Romney’s plan would de-fund/ruin Medicare. Romney make a point out of Obamacare’s arbitrary gutting of Medicare to the tune of $716 BILLION dollars.
- Obama tried to claim that “Bill Clinton did it this way” in reference to the economy. Romney responded with “you’ve had four years!”
- Obama hemmed and hawed around about the role of government is protecting its citizens (um, I know a certain ambassador that might have a bone to pick with you on that. . . if he were ALIVE), and followed it up with a load of pre-fabricated social answers. Romney turned around, and pointed to the Constitution.
I just have to ask- what the heck WERE you doing in Nevada during your debate prep, Mr. President? Fire your debate coach. Now. No wait- better yet- let’s fire YOU.
The long and short of it?
(To paraphrase a Frank Luntz poll participant) Up until this point, Obama had defined Romney. Tonight, Romney defined himself to the chagrin of a stunned, bumbling, confused Obama.
@Barack Obama: You’ve just been served.